Wednesday, February 11, 2009

arts and farts and crafts

(sorry for the crass title--anyone who's seen it will recognize the phrase from one of my all-time favorite movies, Wet Hot American Summer)

Recently I started volunteering one morning a week at Tigerlily's school to do a craft project with the preschool and kindergarten. I always test things out with T.lil beforehand and it's been great to have that scheduled craft time with her. This week, of course, I wanted to do something for Valentine's Day and I've been promising them that we would do some real live actual sewing. So this evening I let 'Lil stay up a bit and after Lyric went to bed we pulled out some supplies and got to work. Here's what we came up with:


Little stuffed hearts! They were super easy to make and I have a ton of felt and stuffing and floss so it's decided, this will be tomorrow's project. Of course, now I have a million hearts to cut out....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been working for DAYS on this really cool but super intricate rock-themed book and have finally finished up a couple of the images to show you:
I agreed to include Jimi Hendrix thinking that he's totally cool and iconic and I could figure out a way to represent him. As soon as I saw this image I knew I had to use it; I mean, how much more rock & roll can you get? That dude was badass.
Also:

Not my favorite band but a cool logo (a pain to sew, but worth it, I think). This book, when all is said and done (tomorrow, hopefully!!), will also include the Abbey Road and Sticky Fingers album covers. I'm thinking of starting a side business making full-sized fiber replicas of classic album covers. It's SO much fun but also SOOO much work....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somehow, in the midst of all of this work and parenting and volunteering I've managed to finish a crocheted blanket for Lyric, using up most of my yarn remnants!

I love to knit but it is unbelievable how much faster crocheting is. Seriously, this only took me a month of little moments here and there, never more than 30 minutes at a time. At 2 years old the poor kid could have had a blanket well before now if I had only known!

5 comments:

  1. How super cute, all of it, the kids, the crafts, the book, the blankie....you should be super proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy cow, that hendrix is fantastic! i love the idea of fabric album covers -- just brilliant. and i agree, cute kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a rad craft packed post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starfish loved the heart making day!

    ReplyDelete