Friday, July 9, 2010

Raising little rebels

We don't differentiate between "kid music" and "adult music" in our house. Really, if I wouldn't want to listen to it why would I share it with my kids? Lately we've been exploring a lot of the music I remember from when I was a kid and Tigerlily and Lyric have really taken to it. Tige loves Pat Benatar and they both really dig Michael Jackson. The videos have been a blast to revisit, and somehow we ended up on some Twisted Sister--so funny! "We're Not Gonna Take It" has rocketed to the #1 position on Tigerlily's list of favorite songs.



Okay, maybe I get a little too excited when I hear my kids sing this one ;)

Here are some other selections from her mp3 player:

"The Final Countdown" by Europe
"Beat It" by Michael Jackson
"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen
"Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi
"Invincible" by Pat Benatar
"That's Not My Name" by The Ting Tings
"Galang" by M.I.A.
"Hard Believer" by First Aid Kit

Of course, she also loves Hannah Montana and Lady Gaga and Beyoncé (I actually love that "put a ring on it" song) but I'm glad that she gathers so much of her listening inspiration from what she hears from us. And, of course, Lyric loves anything his sister does ;)

A small aside: the entire time we were up north in the woods the kids conjured up werewolves everywhere. Not just any werewolves, mind you--these were Michael Jackson werewolves. One night at the fire Lyric said he was scared of the woods, in particular all of the "beavers, reindeer and Michael Jacksons" in the woods. I love that kid.

1 comment:

  1. We have had the same music philosophy since the kids were born. (I grew up listening to my parents music, the Beatles, Rolling Stones oh ya and nothing can beat an 8 year old singing Rod Stewart "If you think I'm sexy" (inappropriate ;) Anyway until recently. My 7 year old LOVEs Billy Talent, The Police, Oasis etc. He has now started listening and hearing the lyrics to Billy Talent Songs and they are pretty sad most of the time (teen suicide, alienation, bulling) and a bit to heavy for the young spirited heart. I went out a bought him a Justin Beiber CD (can't get much more syrupie than this) now I have a boy band crooner on my front porch every day. Hillarious.

    ReplyDelete