Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Change and chance

I have always disliked New Year's Eve. I just can't take the pressure of expectation, the full, round hope that it will be the best night of the year, that great things will happen, that all of the promise and potential of the coming year will be foretold on that night. In my experience this has led to nothing but disappointment and usually a bad hangover.

Of course, this was all much more acute when I was younger. I know now that it's all a bunch of hype and even if I didn't have kids as my excuse to stay home I would gladly curl up on the couch with a book or a movie, all too happy go to bed before the magic hour (which I rarely do on regular days). I know now that this night is more about putting the past year to rest and waking up refreshed and inspired (instead of exhausted and sick), ready to face a new year.

Some years I take it as a challenge, others I accept it as a welcome reprieve from a difficult time that has passed. But always the coming of a new year reminds me of the inevitability of change, and the chances that come with it. I'm reminded that it's up to me to use those chances to improve my life.
"Mom" by Tigerlily

In this new year I've been taking some time to really hone in on the changes I want to see in my life. To be healthier, happier. To do better in my roles as mother, partner, friend. To grow creatively and to make my business truly sustainable. To share more of myself, my knowledge, skills and ideas. To remember my love for writing and cultivate it.

My plan is to really begin to use this blog as an avenue for these goals. I'm not exactly sure what that means just yet but at the very least I want to make this space more valuable to others and will be working on incorporating tutorials and other types of skillsharing. I want to see where I can go with it.
will 2010 be the year of the scissors tattoo?

I hope you'll come along for the ride.

0 comments:

Post a Comment