Friday, January 15, 2010

Hearts for Haiti

I don't know how it happened. On Wednesday night, so completely saddened and defeated by the tragic earthquake in Haiti, I was trawling the internet and reading horrific accounts of the devastation. Having no money to donate I was feeling helpless and desperate to do my part. Somehow I ended up on the Etsy forums and it struck me that a charitable shop should be organized to help the people of Haiti in some way.

So I started a forum thread. The response was immediate and incredibly inspiring. So many amazing people stepped up to help in all of the many ways that were needed. Throngs of Etsy sellers offered up amazing items. I got swept up in all of the camaraderie and the amazing spirit of charity and before I knew it I was well on my way to opening a shop!

We are so close to being fully operational. I got the go-ahead from Doctors Without Borders and all of our proceeds (less Etsy and PayPal fees) will be going to their amazing work in Haiti. Two awesome artists are developing a banner and avatar. A blog is in the works. I've set up a dedicated PayPal and credit union account. We're just finalizing the details now and I really hope to be open for business sometime tomorrow.

Amazing! Without even one doubt I just forged ahead and I am overwhelmed by what has been accomplished.

Please visit the shop and consider buying something for yourself or a loved one and open your hearts for Haiti.

www.HeartsforHaiti.etsy.com

If you are an Etsy seller who wants to donate an item please send an email to etsyforhaiti@gmail.com and I will send you the Donations Information and Guidelines as soon as we have them sorted out.

♥thank you!♥

5 comments:

  1. Good for you. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's also craft hope on etsy...go go go! What a great way to raise funds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great of you to act on your inspiration and so quickly! All too often we say, "somebody should..." and then it never gets done. I am glad to see so many people pitching in for Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your hard work Victoria and the generosity of Etsy artists! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete